- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 7 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cashews, chopped (see Note)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Truffle topping:
- 9 ounces special dark or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white chocolate chips (1/2 cup after chopping)
- 1/2 cup cashews (1/4 cup after chopping)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-by-13-inch cake pan with nonstick foil. Set aside.
Bottom brownie layer
- Melt butter in the microwave in a heat-proof bowl.
- Whisk in the chopped unsweetened chocolate , stirring until smooth. Beat in sugar until combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating on medium speed with an electric mixer until well-mixed. Mix in flour and vanilla .
- Fold in cashews and mini chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Do not overbake. Cool on a rack to room temperature before adding the topping.
- Pour 1/2 inch of water in the bottom section of a double-boiler and bring to a simmer.
- Place chopped dark or semi-sweet chocolate in the top section of the double-boiler and place on top of simmering water.
- Remove from heat and stir chocolate until melted and smooth. Set top bowl of chocolate aside.
- Empty water from bottom section, add heavy whipping cream and corn syrup.
- Bring slowly to a boil, mixing to combine.
- Pour cream mixture into melted chocolate , whisking until smooth. This is the ganache.
- Let the ganache cool 5 to 7 minutes until it thickens to a custard consistency. Whisk in softened butter. Let cool completely to room temperature, then briskly whisk the ganache until it lightens in color.
- Lift brownies from the pan using the foil. Peel down the sides. Cut the brownies into 1-inch squares and separate the squares about 1/4-inch apart.
- Mix white chocolate chips and cashews together. In a hand chopper or food processor, chop until pieces are no more than 1/4-inch in size.
- Pour chocolate ganache evenly over cut brownies so that it drips down the sides in between each square. Sprinkle with chopped white chocolate and cashews . Let rest at room temperature until chocolate ganache sets up.
- Store chocolate cashew truffle bars in a covered container to keep them from drying out. Serve these truffle squares at room temperature for best flavor and texture.
Note: Feel free to substitute macadamia nuts , pecans , peanuts, walnuts , or other nuts for the cashews .
Yield: about 72 (1-inch) squares
From Peggy Trowbridge